Friday, June 6, 2008

THOUGHT: Confession #10

Confession: A 3 Step Pilgrimage Step #2

Agreeing With God That Our Sin Is Sin.

Seems pretty straightforward right? And yet when caught any where near the threshold of shame, we suddenly feel the bite being shunned and we begin some meager attempt to justify whatever sin sin we have been caught at. We work hard with the most outlandish self-defenses to make ourselves look squeaky clean when we are filthy and grimy with evidence to the contrary.

Our tendency is to hide from the pain of open confession--dodging openness on the subject of sin began in eden. When Adam was actually discovered with the forbidden fruit, obviously gnawed upon, he basically said to God, "Oh this? It's not mine. I'm just holding it for a friend. Who? Yeah that woman you made, it's hers." Then Eve, in effect, says, "No, it's not my bad. I was tricked and taken advantage of by that serpent. At no time was I even aware of what I was doing. That is how completely he tricked me. Bad serpent."

Here, ladies and gentlemen, is the very first instance of sin. Did you see what it came with? The world's very first cover-up. The first opportunity for the spin doctors to go to work. Nobody stepped up to the plate and just said, "It was me. I did it. I sinned." What a devastating heritage that was begun on that day.

The press who cover political events generally consider the cover-up worse than the sin it covers up. Makes sense. The web of lies forces you to question everything. What can you trust? Who can you trust? Relationships are severed.

Just imagine how much better off the world would be (or you would be), if that legacy of rationalization never began.

Step up. Admit. Agree with God. Find peace.


g-ram

No comments: