Monday, March 15, 2010

THOUGHT: Practical Atheist 02 Followup

Describe someone you know who is truly passionate about something in their life. How has that passion shaped the way they live their life?

The Lord says: “These people come near to me with their mouth and honour me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me.
Isaiah 29:13 (NIV)

• Do you feel you are more passionate about Christ this year than last year? Why or why not?

To the angel of the church in Laodicea write: These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God's creation. I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm-neither hot nor cold-I am about to spit you out of my mouth.
Revelation 3:14-16 (NIV)
10 characteristics of a lukewarm Christian:
1. Crave acceptance from people more than acceptance from God.
2. Rarely discuss their relationship with Christ with others
3. Do whatever it takes to alleviate their guilt
• Why are we sometimes more passionate about our relationships with other people than we are about our relationship with God?
4. Think more about life on earth than eternity in heaven
5. Gauge their morality by comparing themselves to others
6. Want to avoid the penalty of sin without changing their lives
• What are some of the distractions in your life you feel are keeping you more focused on temporary life rather than on eternal life?
7. Only turn to God when they are in a bind
8. Give whenever it doesn’t hinder their standard of living
9. Are not much different from the rest of the world
10. Want the benefits of what Christ did without conforming to who He is

• In looking at this list of characteristics, are there any you can identify with? Why or why not?

You say, 'I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.' But
you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked…
Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and
opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.
Revelation 3:17, 20 (NIV)

• What are some specific things you can start doing today that will help deepen your passion for Christ?

Final thought:
With your group and during your personal prayer time
this week pray God will instill a deeper fire and passion for Him in your life.

g-ram

No comments: