Monday, January 26, 2009

THOUGHT: Judgement 101 How to Judge Others

I don't like smelly people. Well at least I don't like their stinky smell. It makes me uncomfortable. There are many things that I don't like. Please don't make the mistake of doing those things in front of me...I might think, say or do something unkind.

Can you relate? Do you like to offer your wisdom and analysis to or about others? Do you like judging others?

What ability do you have for judging? Have you proven yourself very capable throughout your life so far? Have you judged the actions and even the motivations of others as if you somehow knew what those were in truth. Have you have judged the colour of skin and body language and body odor? Have you judged history and relationships? Perhaps you have even judged the value of a person's life by the quality of your concept of beauty. Maybe you are quite well-practiced in the activity.

Who doesn't jump to conclusions about others from the way they impact us.

Did the bells go off for you there? There it is again--our self-centered view of the world around us.

By what criteria do we base our judgements?

Nothing that seems to make much sense right now. I confess that when I made the judgements I felt quite justified.

Of course we do. Judging requires that we think ourselves superior over the one we judge.

I think most of my judgements have been superficial, based on appearance and actions, things easily interpreted by whatever state of mind or prejudice that supported the need to exalt myself, or to feel safe, or to belong.

I don't really want to live like that, do you? I want to live in freedom. Freedom from the bondage of judging others and thereby pursuing misery.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"
Matthew 7:1-3

g-ram

No comments: