Sunday, June 6, 2010

When Trouble Comes Your Way

If you're anything like me, when I'm lamenting over some great travesty in my life and a friend of mine says in response to my pain, "oh, well, just consider it an opportunity for great joy when your faith is tested!"--I want to punch them. But, mostly because I know they are right. So, don't punch me, but here it is.

James 1:2-5 (New Living Translation)

2 Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy. 3 For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. 4 So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing.

5 If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking.

This doesn't mean that what you're going through no longer matters or is diminished. No, the joy comes from the fact that you know this world is not the end. There's your joy! And it's fine to see that joy and still have a good old fashioned weepy breakdown.


- g-ram

No comments: