Saturday, October 25, 2008

THOUGHT: Follow-Up To: What's Up With Online Lingo, yo?

I was unclear. I apologize.
The whole point, that was clearly understated, in the former blog was to be the use of coarse, abusive, foul, or disrespectful language through acronyms or abbreviations. I understand why people use the lingo my concern was, and this again, I am sorry, was not clear, my point was that I was uncomfortable with the comfort level that folks had with off colour language.
So I was saying I didn't like the notion that a couple of letters removes me from the responsibility to use language respectfully. I used LOL because it is a non-offensive term and I was hoping that people would just instantly know what I was thinking. Just not true.
So here it is, my concern is the use of online phrases such as:
LMAO
OMG
WTF
NFW
and the like.
I wouldn't say those things and so I'm saying we should not type those things. I also do not get to redefine those terms to mean what I want. They have an accepted meaning already.
That was the point. But man, it sure seems that I was not clear, so I wanted to be clearer.
Thanks for the comments and responses both on here and through email.

g-ram

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhh!!! Now I get it!! I agree 100%. ABSOLUTELY. DEFINITLY.

Anonymous said...

Could be Satan likes the way it all seems so subtle.