Wednesday, October 22, 2008

THOUGHT: What's Up With Online Lingo, yo?

Ok, I guess I am getting old or something but I feel like I have had this conversation about a million times before.
"That's just the way everyone does it."
When I was a little boy some big person told me that: "the first line in the devil's bible is 'Everyone is doing it.'" Now I can't confirm that because I don't have a copy of the devil's bible but I think I get the idea. It doesn't matter what it refers to, the idea of "I can" or "should do it just because "everyone is doing it" is just never a good reason to do do it." We should always ask "is it right or wrong," not "can I get away with it our justify it."
So what is the new bee in my bonnet?
Online Lingo.
I guess my English background makes me queasy when I see the new level of "creative" spelling. Why use the agreed upon spelling when you can make up your own?
But my uneasiness is more than that, it is the new abbreviations that are getting my goat. A phrase that is established in meaning cannot be changed based on your intent. LOL means "laughing out loud," it does not become "lounging on lizards" because "that is what I want it to mean." The same is true of all abbreviations. The reason you want to use it is because it has an established meaning that is more brief than typing the whole thing. You want to convey the feeling but you do not get to change the language or tone.
So yeah I guess I feel uncomfortable reading more stuff online, in chats and on Facebook. Choose wisely when you throw up phrases on your stuff. Choose to honour the lifestyle that you wish to live. If you would not say those phrases out loud then you shouldn't type them on your stuff. If you would say them out loud then perhaps you need to reconsider your phrasing choices. Much of who we are and how we are perceived is based on how we portray ourselves. We need to be conscious that when we carry the name of Christ we do not cast shadow upon it.
Think about it. Or maybe just tell me that I am way off and I just don't get the real world. Just tell me that everyone says I'm wrong. Then I'll listen for sure.

g-ram

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, well LOL I can see being very useful. Because when I write messages, people cannot see my facial expression or hear the tone of my voice. I am letting them know that I am joking or happy. It's better than writing - "As I write this message to you right now, I am laughing to myself"

And if I saw a lizard I certainly would not lounge on it!!! - now am I angry, surprised, disgusted - you don't know - until I write - Ha Ha LOL.

Anonymous said...

So...LOL makes sense, what about all the others?