Monday, August 24, 2009

VERSE: Read & Reflect


How do you feel about the grace of God going to someone other than you?

When grace is coming my way I am all over that; but when I think of SOME people getting some of God's grace I am not always happy about it. Jonah went even beyond that...it sounds like he had a tantrum.

"I didn't come to Ninevah, cuz I didn't want them to repent! I wanted fire and brimstone coming down all over the place! If I don't go they can't repent, then they get burned. Yeah!
If I do go,God will probably be kind and compassionate and forgive them and we can't have any of that.
Then God does go and help them to repent by sending me, they repent, he forgives and withholds judgment. Arghh now God kill me cuz I am suffering too much knowing that I helped bring your grace to them. I really don't want to do what you ask of me at all!"

Go ahead check the story. Read beyond the part that I have left for you.


Jonah 4:1-2 (New International Version)

1 But Jonah was greatly displeased and became angry. 2 He prayed to the LORD, "O LORD, is this not what I said when I was still at home? That is why I was so quick to flee to Tarshish. I knew that you are a gracious and compassionate God, slow to anger and abounding in love, a God who relents from sending calamity.

Jonah 4:1-2 (The Message)

"I Knew This Was Going to Happen!"
1-2 Jonah was furious. He lost his temper. He yelled at God, "God! I knew it—when I was back home, I knew this was going to happen! That's why I ran off to Tarshish! I knew you were sheer grace and mercy, not easily angered, rich in love, and ready at the drop of a hat to turn your plans of punishment into a program of forgiveness!

Jonah 4:1-2 (New Living Translation)

1 This change of plans greatly upset Jonah, and he became very angry. 2 So he complained to the Lord about it: “Didn’t I say before I left home that you would do this, Lord? That is why I ran away to Tarshish! I knew that you are a merciful and compassionate God, slow to get angry and filled with unfailing love. You are eager to turn back from destroying people.


Amazing. I always want grace for myself but I think others deserve judgment and punishment for being and I want them to at least suffer before he saves them.


But God's grace is for all. Who is worthy of it?

g-ram

No comments: