Wednesday, May 21, 2008

THOUGHT: The Whine of Discontent

Drink deep. Maybe you already have. Do you enjoy a full glass of "I'm right?" It seems that many of us do. That drink leads to behaviour that we dislike in others but can't see so clearly in ourselves.
Ever complain? Ever think that many things are against you? Read what I just read in my study (concerning the parable of the Prodigal Son):

When I listen to the words with which the elder son attacks his father--self-righteous, self-pitying, jealous words--I hear a deeper complaint. It is the complaint that comes from a heart that never feels it received what it was due. It is the complaint expressed in countless subtle and not-so-subtle ways, forming a bedrock of human resentment. It is the complaint that cries out: "I tried so hard, worked so long, did so much, and still I have not received what others get so easily. Why do people not thank me, not invite me, not play with me, not honour me, while they pay so much attention to those who take life so easily and so casually?"
It is in this spoken or unspoken complaint that I recognize the elder son in me. Often I catch myself complaining about little rejections, little impolitenesses, little negligences. Time and again I discover within me that murmuring, whining, grumbling, lamenting, and griping that go on and on even against my will. The more I dwell on the matters in question, the worse my state becomes. The more I analyze it, the more reason I see for complaint. And the more deeply I enter it, the more complicated it gets. There is an enormous, dark drawing power to this inner complaint. Condemnation of others and self-condemnation, self-righteousness and self-rejection keep reinforcing each other in an ever more vicious way. Every time I allow myself to be seduced by it, it spins me down in an endless spiral of self-rejection. As I let myself be drawn into the vast interior labyrinth of my complaints, I become more and more lost until, in the end, I feel myself to be the most misunderstood, rejected, neglected, and despised person in the world.
Of one thing I am sure. Complaining is self-perpetuating and counterproductive. Whenever I express my complaints in the hope of evoking pity and receiving the satisfaction I so much desire, the result is always the opposite of what I tried to get. A complainer is hard to live with, and very few people know how to respond to the complaints made by a self-rejecting person. The tragedy is that, often, the complaint, once expressed, leads to that which is feared: further rejection.

text:
The Return of the Prodigal
Author:
Henri Nouwen

Kind Father, deliver me from the desire to complain and to feel mistreated. In all things please lead me to freedom. I do not want to be in bondage to myself, my selfishness or my opinion. Freedom, Father, please have mercy on me as I stumble down that path finding so many ways to become caught. Be patient with me and please continue to grant me the presence of Your Holy Spirit to bring light to my darkness. I must decrease. You must increase. May it be so. Into the man you have created me to be; continue to shape me.
Amen.

g-ram

No comments: